BIRDS --- Overview
In BIRDS, sustainability preformance includes:
- operating energy use
- life-cycle environmental performance of the building's materials, construction, and use
- life-cycle cost performance
In BIRDS, sustainability performance can change with...
- level of energy efficiency
- building prototype
- time horizon
Steps to getting answers to your sustainability questions.
- Begin by telling BIRDS about the kind of building your interested in.
- See how different aspects of sustainability for your building changes as its energy efficiency changes.
- Gain an interactive view of how sustainability performance changes as other key settings like location and time horizon change.
Access an introductory tutorial, documentation, and FAQ at the top right corner of the page.
Step 1: Select Your Building
Select the building prototype you want to evaluate.
Step 2: Select Your Comparisons
Which building settings would you like to compare side-by-side?
Your baseline settings will be used for the reference building in all comparisons.
Step 3: Select Your Environmental Preferences
What are the most important environmental issues to you?
- Global Warming = Increase global climate change
- Acidification = Increase in the acidity level in water and soil
- HH_cancer = Increase in cancer related human health risks
- HH_Respiratory = Increase in respiratory human health risks from human health particulate or 'criteria air pollutants'
- HH_Noncancer = Increase in non-cancer human health risks
- Ozone Depletion = Reduction in the stratospheric ozone level
- Eutrophication = Addition of mineral nutrients to the soil or water
- Smog = Increase in ground level ozone
- Ecotoxicity = Increase in toxic substances in an ecosystem
- Embodied Energy = Source energy consumed
- Land Use = Amount of land consumed
- Water Consumption = Amount of potable water consumed
For further explanation of the impact categories and their potential impacts, click on the Documentation Button on the BIRDS - Overview tab.